I wanted my covers to be 5.5" square which I have cut from cardboard. The sort you find in sturdy boxes. I then tore pieces of paper from scraps (great way to use them up) and stuck using PVA glue to get some depth and definition. Next a layer of gesso which I dried off with the heat gun.
Now for the Claudine Hellmuth paints. I just love these paints and have used them on altered art projects and cards. They are so easy to apply and blend brilliantly. You can also mix them to create no end of alternative colours and shades. My introduction to these paints was at a workshop at Art From the Heart in Harrogate, taught by the crazy, but talented, Dyan Reaveley http://dyan-reaveley.blogspot.com/ Dyan showed us the best way was to build up the colours gradually and in thin layers so that they dry quickly, that way it speeds up the process.
Anyway, I started off with Traditional Tan and Painterly Pink, gradually applying and blending until most of the papers were covered. Remember the papers were only applied to give depth not for their colours or patterns.
*** I should say at this point that I would usually apply the paints with baby wipes and then fingers (Yep! you get messy, lol), however because I didn't want to make the cardboard too wet I used blue roll, you know the sort the gas engineer leaves behind after he's repaired your boiler!!! And of course, fingers.***
Once I was happy with this layer I then moved onto Sable Brown and Modern Red, applying in the same way and building up the layers until I was happy with the depth of colour.
The subject for my deco book is going to be 'Me and My Imaginary Friend'. I found a lovely image amongst Lisa'a Altered Art (see Dyan's blog for the link) which I have framed after colouring in Distress Inks Antique Linen and Tattered Rose. I've then overstamped in Black Stazon with various phrases/words featuring 'friend' and 'imagination'. Lastly I've edged the frame in Adirondack Espresso Dabber.
Once I'd embellished it with the ribbon and charm I felt there was something missing so using sequin scrap I dabbed gold with the Adirondack Gold Dabber.
Once I am ready to assemble the book I shall attach ribbons/fibres to finish it off. No doubt I shall add some other bellies as well, lol.
Hope you like it and I hope it fits the challenge criteria.