About Me

My photo
My name's Alison but for reasons too long to go into I'm known as Cockney Blonde or CB for short. I've been rubber stamping for several years but now spend most of my time either knitting or crocheting. However, with the advent of a New Year I have bitten the bullet and am tackling my usually hated pastime of sewing. I've even bought 'Sewing for Dummies' to guide me on my way. I've been with my hubby Dave for 24 years and between us we have 4 kids and 5 grandkids. We also have 2 cats and a dog, the latter features as my 'photo' image. I used to be able to blog daily but these days I struggle to blog weekly. Hopefully now we are settled into our new home in the country, I can get back to a daily (well almost) update from the room I now have to share with hubby. No more personal crafting space for me!!! Thanks to all the blogs and sites I follow for all your brilliant inspiration, and thank you to everyone who finds the time to comment on my blog.

Saturday 19 March 2011

I am Sailing

OK Bloggers, this is a first for me and I would really appreciate your comments, constructive critisism, advice, whatever. I have drawn the sailing ship... This is from someone who hated art at school and has never been particularly crafty - goodness knows where the cardmaking etc came from, must have fell out of bed one day and bumped my head.  Anyhow, I'm gonna take a chance and enter it into some challenges so that a wider audience gets to see it and therefore more comments for me to act on. All because a friend asked me to make a birthday card with a sailing ship.......

This is not the original drawing. I tried to digitise it but I'm not good with the PC and I just couldn't get a decent image so I went back to the old favourite of tracing it and then rubbing on the back to transfer the image to my CS. Of course then I had a mirror image to play with which caused me all sorts of problems with my left/right co-ordination, lol, but this still leaves me with the original to play around with again.

I used copics in BG01, 05, 13, 93, C1, 3, W1, 3, 5 to colour the image and the sea, and then watercolour pencils for the sky.

The birds are stamped in stazon and I used a Tim Holtz compass mask dabbed with Broken China Distress Ink to keep in with the nautical theme. I used twine to imitate rigging and threaded an old naval button, and ric rak to imitate the waves. The die-cut is a Sissix vine leaves die.

I hope you like it and all comments will be much appreciated.

Here are the challenges :-

Charisma Cardz #11 - To die for
http://charismacardz.blogspot.com/2011/03/challenge-11-to-die-for.html
Simon Says - Happy Birthday
http://simonsaysstampschallenge.blogspot.com/2011/03/simon-sayshappy-birthday.html
CES #28 - Favourite song or inspired by a song (I am Sailing by Rod Stewart)
http://ceschallenges.blogspot.com/2011/03/challenge-28-your-favourite-song-or.html
Totally Papercrafts #58 - Add a Button
http://totallypapercrafts.blogspot.com/2011/03/challenge-58-add-buttons.html

15 comments:

  1. OOh it looks fab CB, great job! Your drawing is fab and I love the finished card too
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous card and the use of tracedown is common amoung artists who often use it as the base drawing for their paintings! Sure this will be much admired by your friend's son. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! This is just fab hun, your sailing ship is perfect! Just love the LO as well...

    Thank you for sharing with us at CES this week, good luck!
    Hugs Shell xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. well done on drawing a fab sailing ship, i can't draw at all so i'm in awe of people who can.
    Can you tell me when the next padgate session is please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow Alison Im so impressed you drew the ship its stunning...perfect mans card
    Mina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely great, Alison and even better in real life!
    Diane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, having seen it in the flesh so to speak I can say I really do like it. I loved the way the sailing ship was done - I thought it was on vellum! Both the image and the background have a misty quality about them, the fibres you used and the buttons go so well with the whole theme. I think it is a definite go-er.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi ya
    fabulous card, great design, thank you for joining us at Totally Papercrafts this week, hope to see you next time, sue,x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well you have done a lovely job Alison, I bet he will love it. Clever you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely card Alison, your sailing ship drawing is brilliant.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alison, you have nothing to be afriad of as your drawing is excellent. Before I read the post I believed it to be stamped. You need to dabble a bit more into drawing and painting as it looks as though you hav a natural flair.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the gold letters and the sail boat - very impressive!! This is a beautiful card : )

    Thanks so much for entering the Simon Says Stamp Challenge!!!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely card
    Thanks for playing along with Charisma this week
    AllisonX

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hiya

    this is such a perfect male card! thanks for joining us at tpc

    Joey x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, fantastic masculine birthday card. Love the image! Thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Challenge blog.
    xoxo, Christine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. Your comments are really appreciated